Re: Just how does one see DIFFERENT

From: Christina Z. Anderson (zphoto@montana.net)
Date: 12/19/02-09:05:54 AM Z

Arthur,
     I think this is a project that cannot be done with a view camera.
Since all students are well versed in view cameras in the dept., he would've
used one if it could accomplish what he wants. Perhaps I didn't state this
clearly, it is not just having everything in the image in focus that he
wants, which certainly could be accomplished by a view camera and a little
lens tilt. He is utilizing 35mm format with a very long lens (one that
cannot be equated in 4x5) so that space is compressed in the scene. But
since the 35mm does not have such wonderful depth of field, esp with a
telephoto lens, he is focusing on different elements to make them sharp.
These are in color, also, and digitally he is able to tweak the color
balance in each layer of distance to remove the bluer tones as you move
further away in space and increase saturation of colors in each layer to
counteract the decrease in saturation of color that occurs as you move
further in space. This cannot be accomplished with a view camera and film.
The final image is printed as an individual image, not a collage a la
Hockney, so that the viewer will perceive it as one vertical image of a
landscape, and maybe won't even know what has been altered as it will be
subtle. But there will be increased perception of compression of landscape
so that it is more 2 dimensional.
     Another student is taking the same image of city scapes at the same
place, at different times of the day, and combining these images digitally
so that, for instance, the buildings may be daytime buildings and the sky is
nighttime sky, or the pastoral scene is lit from one side by the sun and the
sky that is used is lit from the opposite. One final image. This, too, is a
bit...odd, but not immediately apparent. Vertiginous is a word I might use
to describe the feeling you get.
     But I guess I should stop here because this is certainly not alt
process...
Chris