Re: Just how does one see DIFFERENT

ARTHURWG@aol.com
Date: 12/19/02-11:15:21 AM Z

I guess what I mean about "typically digital-aged" is that now that we have the technology/capability to alter things by computer we feel compelled to do so. It's not that the need for digital arises out of the subject, but rather that the subject arises out of the technology. Maybe that's OK. But look at it this way: The world is awash in pictures, and most of them don't command anything more than a passing glance; others actually make us sick, like several I saw today in a Bulgarian photo mag. So many of these pictures, perhaps most of them, really seem to be a form of garbage, or "waste." Thanks to the digital age, we can falsify and produce an ever increasing number of pictures, adding to the ever growing mountain of visual "waste." Perhaps this makes me a complete reactionary. I do prefer Gustave Le Gray to Cindy Sherman. Arthur