RE: 4x5 Development [ever so slightly off topic]

From: Poor, Robert W Dr. SBCCOM (robert.poor@SBCCOM.APGEA.ARMY.MIL)
Date: 12/20/02-12:46:05 PM Z

I have one of those Nikkor stainless tanks for 4x5 and found it more trouble
than it was worth. It seemed to take a lot of time in the dark trying to
load all those slots.....maybe I just did not practice enough....and I was
concerned that the metal holder would scratch the negatives. Also the
solutions did not fill and drain very quickly...as compared to the plastic
tanks for 35mm and thus could result in uncertain development times. I
guess these were suitable for press rooms and the newspaper standards of the
past. I reverted to tray development with a modification where by I have a
tray insert [picture a sheet of plastic which fits in the tray with straight
pins (sew ing type) stuck in it to loosely hold the negatives separately as
they lay flat on the plastic in the tray...the plastic is an 8x10 divider
found in ring binders folded to make a vertical inverted 'V' in the center
to serve as a lifting handle] that holds the negatives so I do not have to
shuffle them...just tilt. I then lift the plastic holder with negatives
from developer to stop etc. This works great for 6x9 negatives as I can get
6 in at once. I find working in the dark relaxing....wh e n else can you
'shut' your eyes without shutting them and it forces you to just slow down
for a few minutes.

bob poor