Re: sandy's viewfinder

dsbryant@mindspring.com
Date: 12/20/02-02:42:35 PM Z

Claudia and Sam,

> It also invites you to really imaging how the
> camera would see the
> scene, sort of what Ansel calls
> Previsualization, or someone else's
> "the Zen viewfinder".

One thing that I've done when making view finders like the ones we have been
discussing is to cut them from a gray card. I place black photographic tape on
the white side of the card and that is the side that usually faces my eye.
This helps me to make tonal comparisons inside the frame and reduces the eyes
awareness of the framing tool.

The inside edge is blackened with a black marking pen which provides me with a
stronger sense of the frame boundary in relation to the elements of the
composition inside the viewing tool.

The grey side of the frame is used when viewing scenes of low contrast, this
seems to heighten my sense of gradation. I'm not sure why but it works for me.

My viewing frame for 35 mm photography is smaller than Sam suggests. This
allows me to tuck it away in a pocket and is easy to carry about. But a larger
one may make pre-viewing more effective.

Good Luck,

Don Bryant