Don't forget --- Re: Your kidding, right? Re: Tele landscape

From: Jon (fotonerd@yahoo.com)
Date: 12/20/02-09:20:05 PM Z

> One of my goals is to expand the notion of landscape to include tighter
> spaces such as exist in the southeast, and probably on the east coast. I
> think our view of landscape is too dominated by the Western way of
> landscape, probably because the first really great landscape
> photographers of the 19th century photographed out there, and because
landscape painting has usually leaned toward big views of wide and deep
space. But the landscape I actually live in is more like a path that
opens onto little scenes or still lifes.

Do you realy feel that 'landscape' was defined by the photographers of the
west?

Maybe you should study up more on the history of 'landscape'.

And as far as commenting on including places like the southeast, well, one
of the places that probably can be considered one of the earliest places
'landscape' work took place was not in the west.

Have you looked much into the "Hudson River School Of Landscape Painting"?

There is a big mistake being made when discussing this topic and not
considering art and art history in defining landscape.

And we wonder why the art world looks down so much on photography.

A lot is being left out if we only look to the likes of Ansel Adams when
discussing the meaning of 'landscape'. The term has existed long before
photography has and by neglecting this we leave big holes in the topic.