Landscape HAD to include the human element. (not 'has to')

From: Jon (fotonerd@yahoo.com)
Date: 12/20/02-09:38:41 PM Z

> For everyone else's interest, if you've made it this far, Landscape is
> a 16thC Dutch work meaning land-ship. Why ship I don't know but he
> earliest theories of landscape work held that a picturesque (a word used
> right after landscape's early usage) view showing primarily raw Nature
> with usually some element of humanity in it such as a small house or
> church steeple to indicate a person or people were there.

Good. In addition I think it can not be overlooked that by this definition
(the definition of the time) that humanity HAD to exist in the image for
it to be considered a landscape.

A painting of just nature in this time period was not considered a
landscape. Kind of weird to think now days, eh? Especially with where we
have taken the term 'landscape' today.

Thanks Jack.

Jon