Re: Will somebody dare to define it? (landscape)

From: Jack Fulton (jefulton1@attbi.com)
Date: 12/20/02-09:35:25 PM Z

Sure . . I'll take a stab at it.
Land ='s surface of the earth
scape='s view
scope='s space for unhampered motion or thought

This latter word, scope, has been, for me, a way to see clearly what the
topography looks like. Generally on the side of a hill, or point where there
is a 'good overall view' is where I like to be to see things with an
understanding.

So, in my mind, to see the scope of the land is what a landscape image is
about. If only an object is defined, such as an arch in Arches Natl.
Monument, it doesn't really qualify as a landscape . . to me.

The word scape is important for it is the suffix of landscape and related,
in a way to scope. Scope is more definite in purpose than scape and that's
why I use it. View, however, the meaning of scape, is what I enjoy ogling.
My male gaze is upon the land and though I like trees I actually like the
environment better.

Oh well . . .on and on.
Jack