Re: Will somebody dare to define it? (landscape)

From: Marilyn's Mail (marilyn@rglobal.net)
Date: 12/21/02-07:21:20 AM Z

Doesn't anybody else want to attempt to define it? We all go around
claiming to make 'landscape' images but I have yet to hear anybody clarify
exactly what it means.
Okay! A challenge!

In "The Focal Encyclopedia of Photography," (1960 by Focal Press Limited,
Editor Frederick Purves) the text says, "A landscape is a piece of inland
scenery. Besides natural features as hills and trees, fields and hedges, a
landscape may include water (river, lake, waterfall) and countryside objects
forming a part of scenery, like the village church, cottages, inn, farms;
also agricultural operations of various kinds, ploughing, harvesting, etc.
The appearance of a landscape is affected by natural effects, e.g., sunshine
and storm, light and shade, and by the seasons of the year."

The article goes on for four pages and I'm sure most objections to the
description above are answered within that text. I think the above
description would give anyone a clear idea of what a landscape is, though.

Marilyn Dalrymple
(Mostly a lurker, but couldn't resist answering this)