Re: Definition- landscape arguement continued

From: Carl Weese (cweese@earthlink.net)
Date: 12/21/02-09:50:57 AM Z

> Those photos are great. I think your point about a southern
> mentality/esthetic may be as much an eastern mountains sensibility.

Clay,

I think this is true, both Sam's pictures and the point about sensibilities.
Recently I've been making repeated trips to photograph in western
Virginia/West Virginia, to make a group of pictures that compare/contrast to
my large body of pictures from New England and Hudson River regions. There
is a strong affinity based largely on the actual terrain you describe hiking
through. Horizon? We see hills, not horizons, here in the east. And I agree
with others who've pointed out that photographers have paid far more
attention to the grand views out west than the more intimate, closed-in
landscapes of the east. I've found that when people look at these pictures
they really enjoy trying to guess, or discover, whether an individual
picture is from the north or the south. Usually it is the plant species that
gives it away. Several pictures from high altitude southern alpine
micro-ecosystems make things really tricky because the plants, along with
the terrain, so closely resemble more northern species.

---Carl

--
        web site with picture galleries
        and workshop information at: