Re: Definition- landscape arguement continued

From: Saulius Eidukas (landscapefoto@yahoo.com)
Date: 12/21/02-02:30:34 AM Z

Hello all. I've read over your postings on this list
from time to time but this is my first posting. I was
intrigued with the discussion on what a landscape
photograph is and if it could be made with a telephoto
lens. I believe a landscape photograph can be made at
any focal length. What makes a landscape photo a
landscape photo is not how it was made but what it
contains, the image within and the ideas and emotions
it represents to the viewer. As others have rightly
stated we need to consider all histories of landscape
in photography and in the other arts but I believe it
could be taken one step further. We also need to
consider peoples view, interpretation of the landscape
in history itself. For where we happen to be in a
certain period of history and physical locale effects
our view of landscape and nature. In my humble
opinion landscape is how we "people" view ourselves
with/besides the natural world around us. A terrific
book along these lines to read is called The Idea of
Wilderness by Max Oelschlaeger. So each of our own
individual knowledge and exposure to history, history
of art and photography and other countless life
experiences gives us each similar and different
opinions on what a landscape photograph is. Sorry for
the long winded response but reading over the threads
on this subject I just had to put in my own two cents
worth even at this late hour. And as you can see by
my chosen email address I have an interest in
photographing landscapes.
Saulius