Re: CIRCLE PHOTOS

From: Katharine Thayer (kthayer@pacifier.com)
Date: 12/21/02-06:17:18 AM Z

Carl Weese wrote:

> Temi,
>
> In case Sam is busy, you use a lens meant for a smaller film format. With a
> view camera, a normal lens meant for 4x5 when used on an 8x10 will be very
> short (wide-angle) and its entire image circle will fall within the large
> film's dimensions. If you figure out a way to use a lens meant for 35mm on a
> medium format camera you could accomplish the same thing.---Carl

Another way of saying exactly the same thing that Carl and Sam just
said: a lens, (or pinhole for that matter) as we know, projects a
circular image. Most people choose lenses with enough coverage to make
sure that the circular image is bigger than the film size of choice. The
rounded edges of the circular image are off the edge of the film and
don't get included in the rectangular or square photograph. If you want
to get the full circular image on the film, you choose a lens that
projects a circular image that's smaller than the film. Since I don't
have a short enough lens and the bellows on my 8x10 doesn't close down
short enough, I use a very short focal-length pinhole camera when I
want a circular image, just as I use a pinhole when I want to shoot
longer than my longest lens.
kt