Re: Definition- landscape arguement continued

From: Shannon Stoney (shannonstoney@earthlink.net)
Date: 12/22/02-10:57:28 AM Z

Judy wrote:

> Who is J B Jackson ?

He's an influential writer on the subject of landscape, amongst architects
anyway. He lived mostly in the southwest and as a result was mostly
interested in the landscape of the southwest, especially the rapid
development of sunbelt cities like Tucson, etc. A lot of what he says,
though, applies to cities like Nashville, Atlanta and Houston too. If
anybody is still interested in a definition of landscape, you can find it in
a book of essays by JB Jackson. I think it's in Discovering the Vernacular
Landscape.

  Of course just trees and rocks by themselves without
> a gas station or garbage pail, or trailer park or wrecked auto parts are
> same old same old. Sure, trees are pretty, but IMO all the good trees have
> been taken -- so what else is new?

I'm having a sense of deja vu all over again.

There are some good trees here that have not been taken, but they're MINE,
ok? (For a small fee some other well-meaning, carefully handpicked
photographers who are also liberal Democrats might be able to take one or
two pictures here. No format under 4x5. Other restrictions may apply.
Offer void in New York City and LA.)

> But the point here, to continue the party analogy-- is that local chapters
> of national parties are very different. For example, Republicans in
> Vermont or NYC or Nassau are generally different from Republicans in, say,
> South Carolina or Texas.

Yeah, I'm a yellow dog landscape photographer. If there's a yellow dog in
the picture, I take it.

--shannon