Re: cheese and the moon. Re: Definition- landscape arguement continued

From: Steve Shapiro (sgshiya@redshift.com)
Date: 12/23/02-06:45:28 AM Z

----- Original Message -----
From: "Judy Seigel" <jseigel@panix.com>
To: <alt-photo-process-l@skyway.usask.ca>
Sent: Sunday, December 22, 2002 11:06 PM
Subject: Re: cheese and the moon. Re: Definition- landscape arguement
continued

> On Sun, 22 Dec 2002, Shannon Stoney wrote:
> >
> > FYI, there is a picture of Mrs. Emmett Gowen peeing on the ground in the
> > MFAH. And she doesn't squat to pee.
>

> Actually, my recollection of that photograph is that it was in the barn,
> not on the ground -- and it was pretty clear that she was *posing*...I
> mean who stands in the middle of the barn (I believe even with the door
> open) naked & pees -- not even a *man* ! As for not squatting, if she'd
> had clothes on she'd get pee on them if she didn't lift her whatever and
> squat.
>
> And for the above reasons I disliked it -- sure, a giggle, but I thought
> Gowin's thing was supposed to be *honest.* (Not that I ever liked Gowin as
> much as I was supposed to -- another story of course.) Anyway, in NYC it's
> a lot easier to get pictures of men peeing than women. I have a series
> from the street, 'Pissing contest."
>
> J.

Under what catagoy in the MFAH could I locate this picture of Mrs. Emmett
Gowen?

Where can we get hold of, or look at your 'Pissing Contest' portfolio, Judy?

And, BTW, landscapes by Morley Baer, he used to call them 'topography
views.' Wanted by the NY Met, circa 1998; Suburbian Views, landscapes of
an expanding America. I seem to recall View Camera magazine honored a
photographer who did a portfolio on something like that.

Re: Women Pissing and Portfolios; it seems Hustler or Penthouse photographed
a Womans Pissing Contest, photographs of women pissing while on top of a
bar, into a glass; standing, squatting, pissing for distance. As I recall,
however, the views were meants to showcase pictures of women's vaginas.

And then, ther's body landscapes . . . 'nuf?
Steve Shapiro, Carmel