Re: correction

From: Darryl Baird (dbaird@umflint.edu)
Date: 12/23/02-08:03:32 AM Z

The first publication of Edith Gowin urinating on the floor of a barn
(or other "out" building) was in the monograph Emmit Gowin in 1976. I
have a copy.

As a brief anecdote, I took a Friends of Photography workshop in 1976
and Emmit was one of the participating instructors. He lamented the
republication of this image by the "girlie" magazine _Oui_, published by
Bob Guccione (of Penthouse Magazine). He felt powerless to stop this
publishing giant and wondered where they got the image from since he
hadn't agreed to the publication. I dare say now he would probably have
a field day with such a clear copyright violation, but those were the
days of the old copyright laws (revised in 1978).

To help stay on topic, Ellen Land-Weber was also at that workshop. Her
workshop day consisted on making images on a color copier of images she
carefully arranged on the copy glass. She would run the "print" through
multiple passes to build up a rich, deeply saturated color image on a
soft watercolor paper. FWIW, she is working digitally today and using a
flatbed scanner.
<http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&q=Bob+Guccione+Penthouse+magazine&spell=1K

-Darryl