re: Graflex flash availibility

Argon3@aol.com
Date: 12/23/02-08:32:42 AM Z

I do have a Heiland three "D" cell flash unit...I wouldn't part with it.
I've been called upon to photograph some large interiors and nothing gets the
job done faster than popping off one of those huge flashbulbs coupled with an
exposure for whatever ambient light is present.
These old-timey units do have their uses although you could find a "bare
bulb" head for several types of portable flash units and get the same effect.
It is difficult to keep finding flashbulbs. You search flea markets and
resale shops hoping to find an unbroken box of a dozen...sometimes you end up
buying an entire camera bag full of old equipment that you won't ever use
just to get the flashbulbs that come with it.
I've not tried it but you could probably find one of the "potato masher"
style flash units that could be attached to the mounts on the side of the
camera. It is interesting to note that when those old Honeywell "potato
masher" units came out in the early sixties (late fifties? please, if you're
some photo equipment historian, don't bust my balls about the date on this)
working photographers flocked to them. I've used some of these old flash
units as well and boy are they tempermental.
I would also note that one must be very careful when using flashbulbs to NOT
BE IN ANY ENVIRONMENT WHERE THE POPPING BULB COULD IGNITE FLAMABLE FUMES OR
MATERIALS. Think coal mine or grain elevator here.

best

argon