Re: cheese and the moon. Re: Definition- landscape arguement continued

From: Thom Mitchell (tjmitch@ix.netcom.com)
Date: 12/25/02-09:48:10 AM Z

snip > I do not know of any case where a woman photographer has created the
> persona of another woman by showing her spread-legged, skirt hiked and
> peeing on the floor, or naked, or other low-status acts. There may be
> such, if so, I trust this list to know of it... Nor do I know of any case
> where a woman has become famous for photographing a male appendage (I mean
> the person as an appendage, not a body part). snip

Judy to refute one of your statements: Donna Ferato has some very graphic
images in the new aperture anniversary issue . One is called "Eve finds her
g-spot" which shoes an older woman apparently masturbating and the other is
a picture of a performance "artist" whom is upside down naked in front a
house in some sort of yoga pose with some sort of lawn ornaments behind .
Now Ms. Ferrato, who also has a great book called "Living with the Enemy"
which is a series of photos on domestic violence against women from the late
80's and early 90's, is not a photographer whom I would characterize as
being exploitive or degrading of women.
    As to the rest of your diatribe I agree to a point. I personally could
care less, peeing is a body function everyone does and if the point is shock
value I am not impressed. Even if it was made 20, 30, 50, 100 years ago.
Then again there are a lot of sacred cows in photography whom are very ripe
for skewering or a least reevaluating in the larger scheme. I will try to
find this Gowin print so I can see it (or a reproduction of it) for myself.
Otherwise lets get back to more interesting topics like ..... Andre
Serranno's Piss Christ.... just kidding.
Again a very merry Christmas or at least holiday season to all, my wife is
very sick today with some sort of intestinal flue otherwise I wouldn't be
online. I'm not that much of a geek.....
Ciao, Thom