Re: "Brown" silver processes and toning

From: Sandy King (sanking@clemson.edu)
Date: 12/25/02-09:06:52 PM Z

Richard wrote:

>With alternative processes we have several which form an
>image using very fine silver (VBD, Kallitype, Salted paper, etc.)
>My question is, if I tone these images (gold or selenium), will I
>see much difference between the different processes. So in other
>words, if I find that one of the processes gives me a good result,
>should I look at the others, or can I conclude that any benefit I
>may get would be small ?
>

>Thank you,
>
>Richard
>---
>Richard Urmonas
>rurmonas@senet.com.au

My experience is that the difference between toned VDB, Kallitype and
Salted paper print are small. If you were to place a toned print by
any of these processes in front of a very knowledgeable photographic
conservators I very much doubt that a positive identification as to
process could be made by visual observation.

On the other hand the differences, though small, might be apparent
if one were to make comparison prints using the same negative and
paper surface, assuming of course that one could find a paper that
worked well with all three processes. From my own experience I would
expect to get a higher Dmax and better shadow separation with
kallitype (a DOP process) than with salter paper and VDB (which are
of course POP processes). However, negatives of very great contrast
will print better with salted paper and VDB than with kallitype,
especially if a complete record of the entire density range of the
negative is desired.

Sandy King