Re: Celebrity Photographer Herb Ritts Dies

From: Richard Sullivan (richsul@earthlink.net)
Date: 12/27/02-12:36:59 PM Z

Herb Ritts was however one of the early celebrity photographers to go
platinum. I remember a show reception at G. Ray Hawkins on Melrose Ave of
his work when Mickey Rourk and Richard Gere showed up. There was also
several other celebrities in attenedce. The crowd flowed out of the gallery
onto Melrose blocking traffic. David Fahey was G. Ray's Director at the
time and eventually moved to opening his own gallery on La Brea.

Ritt's work is often faulted for appealing to the "masses" and not
providing any intellectual fodder to chew on. I do think, however, that he
provided a stepping stone to appreciation of more challenging work and as
Peter Marshall says here "raised the profile of photography."

Herb was an "image maker" and seemed not to be very much interested in any
of the technologies of alternative photographic printmaking though he
appeared quite knowledgeable about conventional silver printing. I believe
most if not all of his platinum work was done by Martin Axon.

--Dick Sullivan