Re: did you get a nice book for Christmas, Hanukkah or Kwanzaa?

From: Daniel Williams (dtwilliams3@attbi.com)
Date: 12/28/02-02:01:56 AM Z

Shannon, who often asks or answers thoughtful and/or humorous questions,
queried about gift books.

I, a faithful lurker, did not receive any photo books this year but did give
my 13 year old niece one I that can recommend. It is "A Dog's Book Of
Truth's" by Nancy LeVine and Joseph Duemer. The black & white photographs
are of LeVine's dogs. The commentary is by Duemer, a poet. It is a lot
better than this discription sounds. Frankly, I don't think the photographs
would make the book without the words. Together these people and a couple
of dogs portray a surprizingly complex species that, for some reason, likes
us.

LeVine's photographs are mostly of her two dogs. Granted, it helps if you
are a dog lover as I am, but she is a skilled professional photographer
doing a subject she loves. If you see this in a book store, I really think
you ought to thumb through it.

Joseph Duemer is a poet who has written short, concise truths about them,
about us, about us and them. I have no authorization to quote his line but
he said. "It is one of the astonishments of history that we have established
such sympathies across the divide of species."

I live near Seattle and did not know that LeVine is a local talent. By
coincidence, about one a month after I bought the book, I stop by the
gallery that was showing the prints from this book. -- The prints are much
better than those in the book though, for what it is, the book is well done.

My review is I, biased as a dog lover, believe that the combination of
LeVine's loving and undesrstanding photographs and Duemer's in-and-exciteful
writing is at least your giving it a thumb through.

I bought a copy for my neice two months ago. I have gone back and revisited
it often enough since that I am going to buy another copy for myself. End
of review.

Daniel Williams
dtwilliams3@attbi
Enumclaw, WA