Re: Edith the Trickster Heroine

From: Shannon Stoney (shannonstoney@earthlink.net)
Date: 12/29/02-10:34:54 AM Z

Richard wrote:

.
> I just finished reading a recent biography of the Wright
> brothers. In it the hobble skirt is attributed to Mrs. Hart
> Berg, the first woman passenger on a flying machine. she
> tied a rope around the bottom of her skirt to keep it from
> blowing around. Evidently the news photos of this inspired
> the hobble skirt. Perhaps an advantage in cold or blowing
> weather but it seems to me to be one of the more
> bondage-oriented items of women's clothing ever invented.

OK, so maybe Katherine and I should change our changing bag/skirt design to
appeal to the bondage-oriented crowd. How about a leather skirt with a
chain at the bottom to weigh it down, and the chain also functions as a
drawstring to turn it into a hobble skirt if this is your pleasure? Any
other bells and whistles we haven't thought of?

--shannon