"The High Points of the Year in Art"

From: Judy Seigel (jseigel@panix.com)
Date: 12/30/02-02:59:39 AM Z

As noted, women have always enchanted, but as muse, mystic, mistress or
martyr... While men take the role of maestro or pygmalion. And of course,
if we're talking myth, of hero, dragon slayer. This dumb broad gets
herself chained to a rock, and off he goes on his white stallion.
(Supposedly they went to war over Helen, but I suspect there was a warm
water port or equivalent involved.)

Anyway, these numbers, not myth or "opinion" speak for themselves.

December 2002 Artforum features "the Best of 2002, the high points of the
year in art," chosen by 11 critics, three of whom are women -- actually a
rather large proportion for Artforum, which often has all male
contributors.

The 11 critics chose 110 artists or groups. Eighteen (18) of these were
women.

Since I don't consider peeing standing up a relevant "feminist" act, nor
peeing in public a useful step to a greater equality, in view of such
dismal statistics (worse now, by the way, than when we began the women
artists movement in the mid-70s), I feel we should at least take notice.

I mention also a propos of an earlier list discussion, that three of these
critics named the Richter show at or near the top of their list, and
others cited it as reference or influence. I'm not sure that any other
artistwas named more than twice, and only one or two of those.

Judy