Re: Cyan and Digital Negs

From: Scott Wainer (smwbmp@starpower.net)
Date: 12/30/02-05:09:45 PM Z

Hi Judy,

Thanks for the comments; they brought up some interesting points.

About the BL bulbs -
I just replaced all 14 about a week ago (the old ones were about a year
old - past their prime) and made sure that they were clean when I put them
in. As for spacing, I built an under-the-counter unit that just barely takes
a 20x24 print frame with the bulbs approximately 1/2 inch apart and 3 inches
from the print frame (to get the fastest prints possible). My next project
is to design a HID unit that contains four 1000 watt bulbs for even faster
exposures but the need for heat removal is making it slow going.

For the digital negatives -
I tried both b&w and spectral (4 or 5 different colors) negs without
success.

All images are from a Nikon Coolpix 4500, 35mm scanned on a Canon FS4000US
(4000 dpi), or 4x5 scanned on a Microtek ScanMaker 4900 (4800 dpi). FWIW, my
PC has a 1.8 gig AMD processor, 512 megs of ram, and is running Win98SE
(Mellinium sucks - kept crashing when I used PS). When scanning, I have
tried both 8 and 14 bit monochrome and up to 42 bit for color (average scan
time for the Canon is 35 minutes vs. 3-4 minutes for monochrome) but i'll be
darned if I can see much difference once they are lowered to 8 bit
gray-scale for printing. I manipulate them in PS 6 and print on a Epson 1280
using the standard Epson color and black inks. Yes, all negs are flipped
horizontally and exposed ink to emulsion. I haven't used a test strip; I
adjust the neg and processing steps til I get the image I want. As for the
trans. material, I had it laying around (used it for Cliche-verres) and just
decided to try it. That could be one of the problems. Until I get a grip on
the problems i'm going to continue working with Liam's lith reversal process
for film negs and print my digital images as poritives on photo papers.

I'm looking into getting another printer (2000 series?) that I can designate
for monochrome only and keep the 1280 for color work. I'd be interested in
knowing what everyone thinks about the Luminos Lumijet systems which i've
been looking into recently.

PF #8 -
I'm looking forward to the next issue. With everything i've been hearing
about being in it, it sounds like it's going to cover everything; possibly
more than 52 pages?

Thanks again for the comments; their always welcome.

Scott Wainer
smwbmp@starpower.net