Re: Papers for Platinum Printing

From: Don Bryant (dsbryant@mindspring.com)
Date: 12/31/02-09:34:49 AM Z

Jeff,

> The first I can recall anybody mentioning the use of grain
> alcohol (Everclear), in alt printing anyhow, was Stuart Melvin. I think
> Stuart told me he'd seen a reference to the use of same in somebody's like
> turn-of-the-century account of a process....

If I remember correctly I think his reference was using it for gum coating.

> I guess I use a drop of 50%
> grain alcohol in every pt/pd coating these days.

So would that be a drop for any size print or a drop per 2ml emulsion for an
8x10 print?

Does the grain alcohol provide better absortion into the paper or does it
help the coating dry faster? What is the positive benefit for pt/pd
printing?

Don Bryant