Re: One more for the road

From: Sandy King (sanking@clemson.edu)
Date: 12/31/02-05:07:32 PM Z

OK, I did the Everclear tests with kallitype, using as comparison
papers Stonhenge White Rising and Lenox. I made prints from a step
wedge with each paper, using 1 drops of Everclear per 2 ml of
sensitizer for one set, no Everclear for the other set.

Result:
1) Stonhense and Lenox behaved almost the same in terms of contrast
and speed. The Lenox prints had a slightly higher Dmax, and somewhat
finer detail.

2) No streaking with any of the prints, with or without Everclear.

3) Stonhenge cleared faster, but Lenox also cleared completely with
about twice the amount of time.

With these preliminary results I made two 7X17 prints on Lenox, using
4ml of sensitizer per print. One paper was sensitized with 2 drops
of Everclear added to the sensitizer, the other had none. Exposure
and development same from from here on out, and both prints were
toned with a pt/pd mixture.

Results: Nice prints both. Both have even tones with no streaking.
Maybe there is slightly better gradations in the one with Everclear
but if so the difference is very subtle and I would need more tests
to verify. But for certain the Everclear caused no problem.

OK, with these mixed results here is the question. If the guests
drink all of my expensive whiskey this evening would it be ok for me
to have a nightcap with the Everclear, or should I save it for making
prints?

Happy New Year to all.

Sandy King