Re: One more for the road

From: Don Bryant (dsbryant@mindspring.com)
Date: 12/31/02-02:59:23 PM Z

Sandy,

> Everclear is available at most liquor stores in South Carolina by the
> name Everclear. It is 200 proof, or very close to it, grain alcohol.
> I suspect most liquor stores everywhere have something similar.

I've used Everclear to clean film, it is just as good as PEC cleaner and a
lot cheaper.

> >And what about using alcohol in other processes such as VDB, cyanotype or
> >ziatypes?
>

> I have not had any streaking issues with VDB or kallitype with the
> papers that I use. On the other hand, I recall that Carl Weese
> mentioned that he got some streaking with kallitype on Lenox paper. I
> now have some Lenox paper so I am going to test it by adding a few
> drops of Everclear to the sensitizing solution to see how it works as
> compared to the sensitizer with no Everclear.
>
> I guess my question for those with some experience with both
> Everclear and Tween would be how do they compare. Does one substitute
Two nights ago I was having a very difficult time coating Fabriano Satinata
and Arches Platine (with a puddle pusher) for pd/plt printing. Apparently
the paper was very dry having been stored in an unheated storage area. I
moved the entire lot of cut paper to my darkroom which has the humidity
raised to 60% and I'm planning on printing again this evening. I had
considered using some Tween 20 but my bottle was full of white gunk so I
dumped it. I don't have any Everclear on hand now but as an experiment I'll
try some with and without Isopropol alcohol. This should be interesting.

And BTW I have had very good results printing platinum on Fabriano Satinata.
FS has a very smooth hot press surface but a little warmer than Platine.

Don