Re: Arches Platine speckles

From: Katharine Thayer (kthayer@pacifier.com)
Date: 02/03/02-05:26:22 AM Z

I think maybe we're talking about different things. After reading these
posts I went to my paper cupboard and inspected five sheets of Platine
against a strong fluorescent light. In every sheet, I did see from one
to six or seven dark specks that indeed looks as if bits of charcoal or
something fell into the vat, as someone (clay?) said. If they are close
to the surface of the paper, they are visible by reflected light, and I
agree that it's annoying to have this stuff in the paper.

But this isn't what I'm talking about when I talk about speckles and
spots that appear when coating (gum) emulsion on the paper. It seems
like the sizing has tiny holes in it that allow the coating to be
absorbed differentially into the paper, making dark spots or speckles
throughout the print. Most gum printers have by now abandoned Arches
aquarelle for gum printing because of a similar problem with that paper.
It doesn't happen with every sheet, but often enough to make it very
problematic for gum printing, and there's no way to tell by inspection
which sheet will fail and which won't. If it doesn't happen with
platinum, that's great.
Katharine Thayer