Re: VanDyke question

From: Judy Seigel (jseigel@panix.com)
Date: 02/04/02-01:30:10 PM Z

On Mon, 4 Feb 2002, Mark wrote:

> Greetings list members.
>
> I am new to this list, so if I am doing something that goes against your
> norms - please be gentle with me!

Hi Mark... Not to worry, when you've hung around a little longer, you'll
see there are no "norms." Which is good, because all sorts of info gets
in and out.

> I am wondering if anybody knows the chemical processes involved in the
> Vandyke process. Specifically, I am wondering if the dark part of the
> image is composed of iron or iron salts.

It's my understanding (tho there are folks on the list who will know for
sure) that with the "iron processes" you're supposed to clear all the iron
OUT of the paper to prevent image deterioration...

> What I would like to do is to find a process which leaves it's image in
> the form of Iron, and to use this to print on a piece of Oak. Oak is
> stained black by Iron, and I would therefore be able to use the process
> to put an image into the wood, as opposed to leaving an emulsion with
> the image on the surface of the wood.

Have you considered something like silkscreen to leave a deposit of
whatever you mix up that could then could work its way into the wood?

Anyway, an interesting project, hope you'll keep us posted. HOWEVER
that's not really why I'm writing, I'm writing to advise those having
trouble with their shoes at airports. Wear clogs -- they slip right
off... tho then again, the thick soles could probably hold a lot of XYZ.

So here's a money maker -- clogs with clear soles for travellers. Or put
some goldfish in there...?

best.

Judy