Re: Ferric Oxalate (NO mistake)

From: Eric Neilsen (e.neilsen@worldnet.att.net)
Date: 02/05/02-10:06:40 PM Z

Sandy, There are two DIFFERENT compounds. The is NOT AN ERROR. I use
Ferrous Ammonium Sulphate CAS# 7783-85-9. Ferric Ammonium Sulphate CAS #
7783-83-7 is NOT what I use. This is referenced in Dick Stevens' Making
Kallitypes - A definitive Guide pgs 53-55. While there are other formula
for making ferric oxalate that do use ferric ammonium sulphate ( see pg 50 )
the one listed on my web site does NOT.

Perhaps this is why Jeff B you should look at learning to make your own. AS
for what other reasons....

Jeffrey mentioned some very important points. You can certainly make high
quality liquid or powder if you are the kind to roll up your sleeves a
little.

Sandy, I 'd be happy to share with you the formula that does require FERRIC
AMMONIUM sulphate. I found it to be a little more work.

I have also made the "exotic" ferrics listed in TNPP. There was also
mention of "exotic" ferric in text the was shared with me at a workshop from
a EJ Walls photo book.

Eric Neilsen
Eric Neilsen Photography
4101 Commerce Street, Suite 9