Fw: UV lightsource

From: Nick Makris (nick@mcn.org)
Date: 02/07/02-11:59:32 AM Z

Christopher,

Here's a post I made some time ago.

Nick

At 07:29 AM 01/15/2000 -0800, Nick wrote:

Hi there once again,
I just went through the process of preparing a UV light source from parts
available from places like Home Depot (except for the bulbs). As discussed
not so long ago, I decided on the Super Actinic variety of flourescent
bulbs - I ended up with 4 2' 40W bulbs (Phillips TLK 40W/03). I used two 2'
fixtures with 2 bulbs each.

The rub here is that this is a non standard setup. Normally 2' bulbs are
25W or less and all 2 ' fixtures have a balast that supports up to that
wattage. So after buying the fixtures ($40), I bought new ballasts, the
ones you would find in 4' fixtures ($30) and rewired them, which is actually
very simple. The new ballast mounted in the old ballast position without
modification. I then wirea a light duty extension cord into each as a power
source and I plug them into an old Graylab timer. My exposure times are 3-4
minutes with DOP (B&S) PT/PD.

The bulbs which are a little special, cost $15 each and I obtained them in
SF from Universal Light Source - Doug Ascher - 415-864-2880.

I owe many thank yous to Bill Laven who was instrumental in my success with
this project - THANK YOU Bill.

The two fixtures are tied together on the bottom via a metal strap. The
straps are bent so as to form vertical supports on either side of the
fixtures - 3 in all. The image is contained between two pieces of 12X15
1/4" plate glass and suspends via the supports at about 1-1/4" above the
bulbs. My testing indicates no problem with fall off between bulbs. They
space at 1" and the bulbs are 1-1/2". I will gladly email a jpeg of the
setup to anyone who would like to see it - please make the request off list.
nick@mcn.org

Many thanks for listening,

Nick