RE: Regarding Ferric Oxalate

From: Halvor (halvorb@mac.com)
Date: 02/07/02-10:41:03 PM Z

Dear Dr. Kudzma

you might have exhausted this lists patience, however I am new here and all
ears, would like a few more lectures if you don´t mind :)

First I am not a chemist, but are trying to learn.

Now, The recipie I posted was as it is written in the book I have. And is
working fine as it is. However, as I have understood it the ratio between
Ferric Nitrate and Sodium Oxalate in this recipie is 1 part Fe to 1,5 part
Sodium Oxalate( 0.097 mole / 0.064 mole = 1,5). Ferric Nitrate should have
(as I have been explained) capacity to react with a ratio of 1 to 3 (6 to 2
electrons). I have tried to mix this, but the highest ratio I can mix is
about 1 to 2,5 any more Sodium Oxalate and it precipitates. I was also told
to maintain the ratio between Oxalic acid and Sodium Oxalate, and have done
so. If, as you say here, oxalic acid plays no part in the reaction I will
try a new mix with the original amount of OA (and without OA). I have
tested this with Palladium printing and the 1 : 2,5 solution seems to give
a slight increase in sensitivity, (about 0,15 Lg H) density stays the same,
exsposure range increase, and gamma drops as a result. I should however do
a few more tests before I trust these results.

Any comments ?

For the sodium nitrate and contrast, I have only used this recipie and can
not compare, but generally it is producing an ansi contrast of about 0,7
(to 0,8) with Pure Palladium. My results are a bit inconsistent though.
(meaning sometimes the print goes completely brown, and density drops to
about Lg 1 ??? anyone)

What is the role of Oxalic acid in Pt/Pd printing. I have seen other people
on this list talking about giving the paper a dip in a 1 % OA solution. Is
this recipie a sort of simpler way of doing this ?

Thanks

Halvor

Linas Kudzma said at ÒRE: Regarding Ferric OxalateÓ.
[2002/02/08 10:38]