Re: Ferric Oxalate

From: Peter Marshall (petermarshall@cix.co.uk)
Date: 02/08/02-07:55:21 AM Z

> Eric,
> If you use this amount in a reasonable time, surely it is worth it. I
> think I'll stop with my questions and admonitions. Clearly there are
> folks
> like you who can use these chemicals safely.
>
> Linas

When we wanted ferric oxalate back in the 80s, I did a little scribbling
on the back of an envelope, but have never given the recipe a name. It is
the kind of thing that is (or should be) blindingly obvious to any chemist
- it could almost be called Lavoisier's method!

You can find it along with much other useful material (including the
answers to many of the questions people ask on this list - so I suggest
you all add this address to your 'bookmarks/favourites' if not already
there) on the Bostick & Sullivan web site at
http://www.bostick-sullivan.com/
which is one of the most useful resources for alternative photography
around.

FERRIC OXALATE (IRON(III) OXALATE) SOLUTION 20%

Like most ferric oxalate solutions in old formulations it contains a small
amount of oxalic acid.

iron(III) nitrate nonahydrate 8.5g
potassium oxalate monohydrate 5.8g
oxalic acid 0.25g

In subdued light, dissolve in distilled water to give 20 ml, store at
least 24 hours before use. Keep in brown bottle.

This solution contains nitrate ions which may cause some solution of
silver images to dissolve in some processes. I was told by a well known
chemists in the field that this would make it unusable for the kallitype
process, but since I had already made some using it, this did not worry me
too much!

Peter Marshall
Photography Guide at About http://photography.about.com/
email: photography.guide@about.com