beeswax

From: Christina Z. Anderson (zphoto@montana.net)
Date: 02/08/02-08:49:22 AM Z

     Who knows which list I should post this to, but what the heck; we've
talked about polaroid transfers and beeswax here so:
     yesterday I got a whim to take a polaroid transfer (4x5 polaroid
printed in a Day Lab and transferred to watercolor paper) and wax it. I
heated the beeswax pellets I have from Daniel Smith, which are white and
purified, and stuck the transfer in the wax. The watercolor paper soaks up
the wax nicely and it dries smooth, hard and tough. It does scratch. It
can also be buffed. My mind starts working overtime of course and thinking
about pigment powder put in to color the wax...and using unrefined beeswax
would be so much nicer because it would be golden and not clear. The image
does not become totally translucent but it does become more translucent and
has a nice feel. It has possibilities in a double sided glass frame with a
cut out mat. Now, to test its lightfastness by putting it in the sun and
see if it fades quickly (Polaroids transfers are not particularly light
safe).
     I would assume this could be done to any watercolor paper process to
give a different effect, so, for what it is worth. I also waxed a fiber
print but it did not soak up the wax as well as the water color paper.
Chris