Re: Oleobrom and Gum

FotoDave@aol.com
Date: 02/12/02-07:35:45 AM Z

John,

First of all, thanks for the print that you sent me! It has been more than a
year now. I have meant to send back a direct carbon print to you since I
received it, but I changed job and it took up most of my time, and I haven't
made much printing at all. I hope to get back to alt. process and my direct
carbon this year.

<< But, staining does
 occur. In fact, it is the pigment " stain" which forms the pictorial image
in
 my DC process i.e. as far as I can deduce by visualizing what is happening
 amongst all those molecules in the coatings. Does that give anyone a clue?

Staining doesn't look too bad on the print that you sent. What kind of sizing
do you use? Have you tried one more coat of sizing?

<< More later if anyone's willing to experiment without Gum. Dave Soemarko, I
 remember, experimented along Direct Carbon lines but I seem to remember also
 that his process used Gum. Dave, please correct me if I am wrong in this
 detail. >>

I used gum with some chemical additives, but I I think other colloid can work
just as well as long as one takes the time and experiment and solve the
problems with the particular colloid.

When I announced my process and wanted to work with photographers to make
their prints, the first person who responded and send me his negative was
John Rudiak. Then I changed job and it occupied all my time, so I told him I
wasn't able to do it at that time and sent his negative back. About a month
later he passed away in motorcycle accident....

I think I have paused too long and should really get back to it soon.

Nice seeing you posting again. Happy retirement! Hope it will give you more
time to work on your direct carbon.

Dave S