Re: Pigment Flaking and Staining in Gum

From: Katharine Thayer (kthayer@pacifier.com)
Date: 02/14/02-02:09:32 AM Z

I've never tried it myself but I assume it's true that a high dichromate
dilution may result in staining, since others have reported this. I've
never wanted or needed to go beyond 1:2 myself, and very rarely that,
and have seen no staining at that dilution. And of course it's true
that a gross excess of pigment in the mix will result in flaking (which
I prefer to call sloughing; when I think of flaking I think of dry paint
coming off bit by bit, whereas what happens with a too-thick emulsion is
that it all comes off at once, phloff) without staining.

While beginning gum printers should be aware of thse phenomena and avoid
gross excesses in either direction, both are outside the ranges of
concentration I'm talking about in discussing the adjustment of pigment
concentration to avoid staining.

Katharine Thayer