RE: Pigment Flaking and Staining in Gum

From: Keith Gerling (keithgerling@att.net)
Date: 02/14/02-12:02:04 PM Z

Katherine says:

"Just as an aside, your mention of "graininess" is a manifestation of
what I would call staining."

No it isn't. That was a poor choice of words on my part. Correct, "stain"
has always appeared as graininess in my experience. This use of graininess
is more along the lines of "selective" flaking. Picture a lith negative
developed in lith developer: either black or white, so midtone areas
*between* black and white kind of break up and appear "grainy". It's an "on
the surface" kind of grain, very course. Sorry to use a confusing word.
Again.