Re: Calotypes / Southeby's

From: Peter Marshall (petermarshall@cix.co.uk)
Date: 02/15/02-04:04:21 AM Z

> The estimate at Southeby's for the Niepce, which also includes 35
> letters totalling 150 pages, is E750,000. But I think it will go much
> higher. BTW, does anyone know of an account, besides Kingslake, of the
> lenses used by the French calotypists?

Isn't the Niepce on sale there actually the world's first photocopy and
the first existing photograph - also by Niepce - still on show in Texas?

Gernsheim decided that this item was priceless, and was given it without
charge, handing it on without valuation when he sold his collection.

(Assuming of course we don't take the claims about the Turin shroud being
a medieval photograph seriously. I think it is a nice story.)

Peter Marshall
Photography Guide at About http://photography.about.com/
email: photography.guide@about.com
My London Diary http://mylondondiary.co.uk/