Re: Calotypes / Southeby's

From: Peter Marshall (petermarshall@cix.co.uk)
Date: 02/15/02-08:45:21 AM Z

Alejandro,

I think this is the point that I was making. The view from the window
remains clearly the first verified photograph. Gernsheim I think used the
term 'photograph from nature' to make it even clearer

Niepce brought I think 5 examples of his work to England when he came
here. One was a photograph (now in Texas) and the others were examples of
his photographic etching, I think one plate and some prints. The plates
were I think made by contact printing under oiled paper originals.

I think these prints are photo etchings rather than gravure. I don't know
how accurately they were dated, although probably he brought his more
recent and better examples with him. There is one that has appeared in a
number of books with the date 1822, but books usually get the dates wrong.
I think a couple of these are in one of our UK museums and the others in
Texas, but its a month or so since I wrote about this.

Peter

Peter Marshall
Photography Guide at About http://photography.about.com/
email: photography.guide@about.com
My London Diary http://mylondondiary.co.uk/
London's Industrial Heritage: http://petermarshallphotos.co.uk/
The Buildings of London etc: http://londonphotographs.co.uk/

> Hi Peter:
>
> As far as I know, what is being auction at Christies-Paris, is the
> "first
> ever photographic document in the world", which was printed as a
> "gravure"
> from a "copper plaque", since Niépce at that date-1825- didn't know how
> fix a lasted image. He had succeeded in printing his photographic image
> from a copper plate where he then made a gravure.
>
> Regards,
>
> Alejandro López de Haro

and elsewhere......