Re: VDB formulas

From: Sandy King (sanking@clemson.edu)
Date: 02/15/02-09:46:52 PM Z

Judy Seigel wrote:

>There are I think 3 [VDB formulas in P-F #1], one that didn't work AT ALL,
>one that sort of worked but wasn't very good, and the regular classic VDB
>we know. That last is what I refer to -- but in some sources (which I do
>not bring to mind), the part about "contrast control" with dichromate came
>with it.

The last is the one that I have also been using.

>My folder on VDB is on a high shelf, & to get it down disturbs a lot of
>asbestos particles, & other fallout from WTC (not to mention the usual
>dust mites and mold spores), but *I believe* I exposed to the max, that is
>to the point that the bottom steps blocked up. I therefore assumed that
>the cliff at the other end was intrinsic, not to be overcome by more
>exposure (although Sandy says didn't find that !!!).

Right. Nothing that I did actually increased contrast.

First, I added potassium dichromate to the developer as James
recommends, at the same strength, at less strength,and at more
strength. Nothing.

Second, I added potassium dichromate to the sensitizer prior to
coating the paper. This resulted in a huge loss of effective printing
speed, but no change in contrast. That is, the test wedge with and
without the addition of potassium dichromate had the same number of
steps from Dmax to Dmin.

All of my solutions were fresh and mixed with distilled water?

>-But if you want to increase contrast in the negative, I found that
>chromium intensifier followed by selenium toner 1:3 gives the biggest
>increase in neg density, also red color which is another filter, and quite
>a jumpl A very brief Farmer's reducer before the intensifier can weaken
>highlights for even more contrast.

I have used this method before and know that it works. Unfortunately,
in this instance my negatives already have a DR of around 1.6,
perfect for my carbon printing, and I have no desire to further
increase their contrast.

Too bad that so much unverified BS has been lavished on the naive by
persons who did not take the time to verify for themselves procedures
which they claim to work. I find fault with James (and others) for
this, in spite of many other fine things about his book which I would
praise, and even though he has probably been effectively immunized
from criticism by his praise of all the esteemed and venerable in the
world of alt photography, including - and in the same sentence - Judy
Seigel, Dick Sullivan and Mike Ware.

But I am still looking for an effective way to control contrast with
the classic VDB formula.

Sandy King