Re: Gum without glass

From: Robert W. Schramm (schrammrus@hotmail.com)
Date: 02/17/02-12:00:08 PM Z

Greg,

Yours is a good point. I am a maker of daguerreotypes and fully aware of
what you have pointed out. Collectors tell people not to try and replace the
glass because they know most people don't know how to do it and may damage
the image in the process. Most old daguerreotypes do need to have the
package resealed since the paper seals have dried out and cracked. If one is
going to do this, its a good idea to replace the glass as well as the seals.
But as you mentioned, if one is not thoroughly familiar with the
daguerreotype, its best to leave it alone and find an expert.

Bob

>From: Greg Schmitz <gws1@columbia.edu>
>To: alt-photo-process-l@sask.usask.ca
>Subject: Re: Gum without glass
>Date: Fri, 15 Feb 2002 18:59:00 -0500 (EST)
>

>Bob and all: The general rule, as I understand it, in conservation
>circles regarding the replacement of glass on daguerreotypes is to
>leave original glass in place. DO NOT remove the glass. The reason
>for this is that the daguerreotype and the glass are usually sealed
>together to form a sealed "package." This package serves to protect
>the dag from damage as well as environmental problems (eg. "bad"
>gasses and rapid changes in humidity). Usually the glass is replaced
>only if the original "package" is damaged. I only say this here to
>discourage anyone who might be thinking about replacing the glass on
>their dags. It can be done, but you really should get professional
>help from somebody that knows how to it.
>
>-greg schmitz

> > From: "Robert W. Schramm" <schrammrus@hotmail.com>
> > Date: Fri, 15 Feb 2002 14:43:05 -0500
> > >
> > >Glass is not a solid and has some unusual properties. Old glass on
> > >daguerreotypes tends to get darker with time and has to be replaced.
>Perhaps
> > >this is a chemical reaction between the silver, mercury and glass.

Check out my web page at:

  http://www.SchrammStudio.com

also look at:

  http://www.wlsc.wvnet.edu/www/pubrel/photo.html