Re: Scarlet Dye

From: John Edwards (edw4@mindspring.com)
Date: 02/19/02-03:52:25 PM Z

Ruth Formanek wrote:

> on 2/18/02 2:02 PM, Jeff Buckels at jeffbuck@swcp.com wrote:
>
> > At the suggestion of Dick Arentz in the Platinum/Palladium Book, I got
> > some Crocein Scarlet to spot pinholes on my negatives for pt/pd
> > printing. You know, the red material will mask the UV light, etc. I
> > was surprised to find that Crocein Scarlet comes as a powder. The
> > mystery I need solved is: How do I use this stuff? Anybody know?

Is there a chance this discussion refers to "cochineal" dye?? If so, it is
derived from a fairly common scale insect on Opuntia (prickly pear) cactus,
easy to spot because of the soft white wax mass they secrete. Just scrape some
off and dissolve in solvent.
See:
www.bell.lib.umn.edu/Products/cochinea.html
http://www.arizonacactussales.com/tips/cochineal.htm