Re: Gum without glass

From: Robert W. Schramm (schrammrus@hotmail.com)
Date: 02/20/02-07:23:37 AM Z

Katharine,

I once took a photograph of a couple sitting on the quay in Paris that I
liked, scanned it and dumped it into Photoshop where I went to work on the
image with a combination of filters so t
hat the image eventually looked slightly impressionistic and had the look of
an acrylic painting. I then got a service bureau to print the image out on a
heavy paper with a canvas pattern in it about 18" x 24". This was glued to
foam core board and placed in a rather nice gold frame. I used a small brush
and acrylic paint to affix my signiture. I have displayed this piece along
with my other work and gotten several nice comments. Often I hear, " Oh I
didn't know you did art work as well as photography." ;-)

Frankly, I don't much like photographs that are bled to the edge and mounted
on a board with no mat and frame. The reason for this is partly because the
mat and frame and maybe even the glass tell the viewer that,
"this is a work of art." Even though the matter of whether photography is
art or not has been settled long ago, I'm not sure that the general public
is, as yet, convienced. Also,I tend to used the term "Fine Art Photography"
as much as possible to distinguish what I do from commercial photography
like weddings and school photos, etc. As far as the average citizen is
concerned, the "fat lady" has not yet sung on this issue. Of course, maybe
we don't all care.

Bob Schramm

Check out my web page at:

  http://www.SchrammStudio.com