Re: VDB Contrast

From: Judy Seigel (jseigel@panix.com)
Date: 02/23/02-10:59:46 PM Z

On Sat, 23 Feb 2002, dina Fraioli wrote:

> I thought you put dichormate in the first water bath to control
> contrast...which never made sense to me since it is running water and it
> would all spill out. Me and My professor were just podering this fact
> actaully.

I've never used a running water bath for first bath... for one thing,
because my water is metered and it's wasteful, for another it isn't
convenient in my studio setup, for a third, if you're using a large
sheet of relatively thin paper, running water can twist it, and for a 4th
-- whatever.

But if you've got a large sheet in a relatively shallow bath, you might
want to dump and refill... at some point. (On the other hand, with all
those lakes & waterfalls in Canada, you may have all the water you need.
We're anticipating severe drought this summer... So perhaps you'll send us
down some extra ?)

But this I haven't seen mentioned: VERY striking in tests my students and
I did was that the length of "first bath" is a definite variable. That
is, it's customary to bathe just until water runs clear, maybe 2 or 3
minutes. We found that the print was much smoother, richer, generally
peppier, with at least 5 minutes, more with a thick, absorbent paper, and
if I were working for consistency I'd *time* that bath.

However, that said, I never heard the one about adding dichromate to the
wash water. As for why dichromate in emulsion changed contrast here & not
in South Carolina, I don't have a clue. I'd assume some variable in
procedure... or water, or chemicals... I didn't like the visual effect of
the dichromate & didn't pursue it, but maybe you want to try it in still
water & see if it does anything there.

best,

Judy