Re: Niepce

From: Alan Mynett (a.mynett@ntlworld.com)
Date: 02/24/02-04:48:06 AM Z

>I think you have to ask what the evidence was for the "dinner table" - I
>think it is possibly a mistaken recollection on the part of the author,
>who perhaps had a later picture by Talbot in mind.

 There may to have been a 'dinner table' picture by Niepce. A Volume
 in the Photo Poche series, #8 (Published by the Centre Nationale de la Photographie,
 1983), was devoted to Niepce. It consists of extracts from Niepce's
 letters with notes by Paul Jay and Michel Frizot. I have a copy bought in France.
 I don't know if it was ever translated into English when Thames and Hudson
 published some of the series a few years ago.

 On p138 it states:

 La table service (nature-morte). Apres 1826? Plaque de verre.
 'The ancient original preserved in the Societe Francaise de
 Photographie, destroyed at the end of the 19th century, is known from
 a reproduction published in 1893 by Davanne in 'Les conferences
 Publiques sur la Photographie'. His attribution has however been
 contested.' (My translation).
 The Davanne illustration is reproduced on p105.

--
 Alan Mynett

http://www.mynett.org.uk