Re: An Opinion Please....

From: Nick Makris (nick@mcn.org)
Date: 02/25/02-09:17:41 AM Z

Jonathon, I think your first two questions would generate a better reponse
on the Epson Inkjet List. With regard to a proper substrate for digital
negs (assuming from an inkjet printer), here's MY opinion.

It depends on your requirements - if you have high expectations for detailed
photos from long scale processes, with rich deep blacks and clear/dotless
highlights, your options become very limited. Think Pictorico with dye
(read that not pigment) based quad black inks. Dye based inks are not
generally archival, which causes other considerations when attempting to
make direct B&W inkjet prints from that printer. That's what I am groping
with currently. I have pigments in my 1160 and already have 3 printers on
my desk - I'm looking for more room at the moment. Pigment based inks do
not adhere (dry) well to Pictorico film. I have also had some success with
Epson Back Light Film - the main problem with this is that in its natural
state (without wax) BLF is a very good blocker of UV light.

If you have lesser expectations, are experiementing with artistics methods
or the process you are using doesn't require most/all of the above, the
options are greater. Experiment with waxed papers, waxed vellums and other
overhead project films. OHP films may be just as effective as Pictorico
(and less expensive) but the sizes may be limited. If you should run into
one that comes in sizes 11X14 or greater and that accept pigment based inks,
please let me know, because that's what I'm looking for.

My 2¢

Nick