Re: Elmers Glue

From: Judy Seigel (jseigel@panix.com)
Date: 01/04/02-01:21:49 AM Z

On Thu, 3 Jan 2002 FotoRR@aol.com wrote:

> David:
> Not too sure how long lasting it is -- but I have used Elmer's Glue To size
> my paper for non-silver work. This was shown to me by Betty Hahn when I took
> her non-silver class at the University of New Mexico (many years ago!!). I
> have encouraged my students to use it as it is cheap and available. Perhaps
> not the best choice -- but my stuff has lasted over 20 years.
> Richard Rodgers

In my experience the problem with elmer's glue for size isn't the
archivality or lack thereof (and if it were, for instance, acid, wouldn't
it be neutralized in the water development?). I found it simply didn't
give as smooth a tone and long scale as gelatin, rather tending to flaking
and extremely high contrast. Of course it all depends what you want to do
-- some of Betty Hahn's most marvelous prints were maybe three tones,
which could be gotten by another coat and embroidery. I would guess though
that the main benefit of Elmer's is no hardening necessaary?

Judy