newbie question on sizing / hardening

From: clay (wcharmon@wt.net)
Date: 01/07/02-04:06:51 PM Z

List members:

I'm getting ready to try my first multiple gum prints and gather from my
reading that sizing the paper is a necessity. I've done several
gum-over-platinum prints on Platine and BFK, neither of which have needed
sizing to do just one or two gum layers. I'm interested in trying a pure gum
print now and have run head on into a very diverse set of recipes for sizing
paper, most of them having to do with the hardening step. For what its
worth, my sources to date are 'Coming into Focus', 'Post Factory' and 'The
book of Alternative Photo Processes', along with a couple of recipes in Dick
Arentz's Platinum/Palladium book.

My question is, what are the relative advantages of formaldehyde versus
formalin versus chrome alum? I've even seen one suggestion in the book
'Coming into Focus' (p 34) that recommends nothing other than gelatin for
sizing. I guess I'm looking for the most effective, easiest and least smelly
method.

Thanks.

Clay