Re: Formaldehyde vs alums

From: Gordon J. Holtslander (holtsg@duke.usask.ca)
Date: 01/09/02-12:27:09 AM Z

Hi:

I would like hear from people that use chrom alum as a hardener. I am
severly allergic to formaldehyde and its by-products (I end up looking
like a burn victim if a have any contact with it)

I am paranoid about using glyoxal as well. Its similar to
formaldehyde (both are aldehydes).

I've wanted to do multicoat gum but have never tried the necessary sizing
because of my allergies. I realize chrom allum isn't without risks as
well.

Gord

Gordon J. Holtslander Dept. of Biology
holtsg@duke.usask.ca 112 Science Place
http://duke.usask.ca/~holtsg University of Saskatchewan
Tel (306) 966-4433 Saskatoon, Saskatchewan
Fax (306) 966-4461 Canada S7N 5E2