Re: Formaldehyde vs alums

From: pete (temperaprint@blueyonder.co.uk)
Date: 01/09/02-01:43:11 PM Z

on 9/1/02 6:27 am, Gordon J. Holtslander at holtsg@duke.usask.ca wrote:

> Hi:
>
> I would like hear from people that use chrom alum as a hardener. I am
> severly allergic to formaldehyde and its by-products (I end up looking
> like a burn victim if a have any contact with it)
>
> I am paranoid about using glyoxal as well. Its similar to
> formaldehyde (both are aldehydes).
>
> I've wanted to do multicoat gum but have never tried the necessary sizing
> because of my allergies. I realize chrom allum isn't without risks as
> well.
>
> Gord

> Gordon J. Holtslander Dept. of Biology
> holtsg@duke.usask.ca 112 Science Place
> http://duke.usask.ca/~holtsg University of Saskatchewan
> Tel (306) 966-4433 Saskatoon, Saskatchewan
> Fax (306) 966-4461 Canada S7N 5E2

Hi
Gord what about conditioning the gelatine size already in the paper with a
dichromate solution say about 1or 2%. If Ammonium dichromate is employed
you could make a solution similar to a carbon spirit sensitizer? Then
subsequently giving it a controlled fogging exposure avoiding all the other
problem hardeners. I donšt know whether this would work, but it may be worth
a try. Alternatively if you arenšt in love with pigment and paper only
pigment and colour give my Temperaprint process a whirl no hardener is
needed!

Pete

--
http://www.books.i12.com/parlour/index.html