Re: gold toning van dyke browns

From: Andre Fuhrmann (Andre.Fuhrmann@uni-konstanz.de)
Date: 01/24/02-09:09:30 AM Z

>Can anyone give me advice on gold toning for van dyke browns?

I did it repeatedly with good results. First give the print a good
wash after exposure, then drop it into a gold bath. (Yes, you should
tone before fixing!) Tonal shift starts almost immediately. I use
ready-made gold toner (Tetenal). Afterwards fix and wash as usual.
Main advantage: additional contrast control, deeper shadows, print
fades very much less during fixing. Vandykes may also be toned using
selenium (e.g. from Kodak) 1:100. This is much cheaper but somewhat
difficult to control -- and most people (including myself) like the
tonal range of gold toning better.

André