help

From: Tillman Crane (tillman@tillmancrane.com)
Date: 01/24/02-08:57:51 AM Z

dear list,
i have run across a problem I can't solve.
I print pt/pd ad I prefer white borders rather than showing the brush
strokes. i print on crane's 90lb cover bright white. I have used
this paper for years.

in the past several months I was able to print with white borders.
When I bought new paper all of a sudden i couldn't get clean white
borders. metal from the image bed into the white area.

i use both pot oxalate and ammonium citrate developers. i tired
coating with 1% ox acid as a precoat, better but not solved, i tired
filtering my developer, no change. finally i mixed new ammonium
citrate developer, presto white borders. BUT as the developer aged
the bleeding began again.

the bleeding doesn't show up on cranes cover natural white, only on
the bright white. do you think soaking the paper in oxalic acid
rather than just a precoat would help?? anyone else run in to this
problem?

what i can't figure out is what changes as the developer ages and
picks up extra metal. as long as the developer is clear, then the
borders are clear. but as the developer picks up color the bleeding
begins. does it have something to do with the changing ph of the
developer? the bleeding continues when I add fresh developer to the
old developer.
any ideas?
thanks.
tillman crane